Saturday 15 June 2013

Natalya - Chapter 3

Hello people! While waiting for the legacy heir poll to be closed, I used the short simming time I had to play with the renovay challenge...after ages! So here's chapter 3 :)

Natalya looked through the job offer section of the newspaper and decided she would apply for a job at the catacombs. It seemed just right, perfectly matching her gloomy mood. Besides, she hoped she would be able to get in touch with her grandmother's ghost....

The news must have spread fast in the netherworld, because on the night Natalya got the job, her grandmother's ghost appeared for the first time...she wanted to congratulate her granddaughter on her new job and give her courage to carry on with her studies and the house renovations...


But Natalya was not yet aware of her ghostly grandmother, as another visitor had required her attention... a mascot had come to advertise the new university campus and had brought some gadgets with him.


Natalya was totally taken by this stranger talks about university she was totally taken by surprise when her gran greeted her.

Grandmother: hello Natalya...it's me, your grandmother...don't you recognize me anymore?

Natalya: Gran! I've been waiting for you for so long and you never came .... and I had lost hope.... I'm so happy to see you again! How have you been?

Grandmother: well, obviously dead, darling .... but tell me, how's life been treating you? when are your starting the renovations? Honestly I thought I would find the house in a better state...it's falling to pieces! And you promised to take care of it and ... who's that weird inappropriate llama guy?

Llama guy: oppa llama style!

Natalya: what? oh, I had forgotten, he's a mascot from university...but nevermind. Life...it's been hard gran, so hard! I tried...I'm trying hard...but it's just....so hard .... with school ....work .... and the house .... and keeping everything secret ... I'm always so tired and worn out! And I want to have a social life like my school friends but ... I can't if I need to keep secrets .... and ... I was robbed! They took the few things I had ... your bed and granddad's work bench as well! And I had just started to learn to make things and they sold well and now.... oh gran, I'm not sure I can make it, I'm just a teen ager after all! This burden is too much ... what am I to do?


Grandmother: Calm down, kid .... I now understand that asking you to keep that promise was maybe too much ... but you're a very wise and responsible girl and I'm sure you'll have a successful life ....  I now understand you also need time for yourself, to have fun and make friends, but I don't want you to break your promise because I know you will regret it, one day. Although you may not like it, you belong to this house, it's the only family you have now, and you must take care of it . But, we can make a deal . You can choose someone to help you . Choose carefully because you can't just trust anyone ... and you don't want just anyone to become part of your family history, do you ....



The whole day after the encounter with the ghost of her grandmother, Natalya felt worried. She had longed to see her, but she had hoped her gran would be more understanding of her hard life. She had often thought of what she would tell her...and she had imagined her gran to hug her and comfort her and tell her there was no hurry to renovate the house and she could do it when she grew older, but now it was her time to have fun as all the other teens. But no, her gran had asked her once again to keep the promise. Only, she could get help from the right person. Grandmother had said she had to choose well who to trust ... but she was so tired of living like that! She wanted to have real friends ... a best friend to talk to about girly stuff .... a guy to have a crush on .... and stuff like that. There was Daydream, yes, but she was older and had other stuff to do .... like that very day . At the festival she had told Natalya she would come around the following day. This was the day but she had sent her a text to cancel, something sudden had come up. Natalya couldn't feel but a little betrayed, honestly.

So, when one of her classmates had asked her if she could visit after school she had thought, why not?


The days passed, tree leaves had become fully orange and yellow and the autumn fair had come to town. But Daydream seemed to have disappeared. She hardly ever returned Natalya's calls and texts and when she did, she was always busy doing something else. Natalya felt very sad, she missed her friend dearly ... and Daydream was the one Natalya wanted to share her secret with .... but now she realised she must find someone else ....



On the other hand, her new friend Lucy seemed to like her a lot, as she often wanted to come home with her to do homework together.



So, Natalya decided the time had come to share her secret with someone else. She knew she would feel relieved... she had practised the talk many times ... she just hoped Lucy would understand and maybe help her ... she seemed to be so interested in her decadent house and the secrets Natalya was sure hiding ....



She told her everything. About her grandmother's death, about her parents' deaths, about the lie she was telling everyone, that they were just on a long work trip. And about the promise she had made to her grandmother, to take care of the house and work hard to renovate it ....


A long silence followed Natalya's confession and to her, it seemed like ages passed before her friend spoke to her.


Lucy : so, that was it, that's your secret! The one everybody as school is talking about .... now, I'm the only one to know, how lucky I am .... although, I must say I feel rather disappointed you know, we were all hoping for some darker stuff ... involving blood, murder, zombies or whatever .... instead, it's just a wee promise made to an old dying lady! And now you need to fulfil it all by yourself because your parents are dead and you have no one left ... how .... lame ....

Natalya couldn't believe it! How could her friend be so mean to her... after she had entrusted her with her most important secret! Had it all been a game? Was Lucy just playing a part??? Had she become close to her just to find out all of her secrets to boast herself with her classmates? Natalya felt so betrayed and miserable ... and angry with herself for her misjudgement!


But there was no time for regret, what was done was done ... and Natalya's work shift would begin soon. Since the burglar had stolen the bathtub, Natalya had started to use the shower at the gym. And since she had to go there anyway, she had started to train a little as well.

An autumn storm was blowing that evening, and Natalya found it perfectly matching to her feelings.


She was all soaked by the time she reached the gym ....



so she went right into the shower.



Luckily the storm had stopped when she had to leave for work...she felt alone, hurt and angry . Although somewhat resigned. Would her life be like that? Was she condemned to be alone forever? Only a huge house to renovate and Bonehilda as her own company? Not to mention a graveyard as work place...



While entering the mausoleum, Natalya thought her mood had never been more matching to the place.



Once home, she fell asleep on the couch with her work clothes still on.



The couch wasn't really comfortable and Natalya found herself awake at the wee hours of morning. She was hungry, so she made herself breakfast and dressed up for school. She had just finished eating when she heard the doorbell ring.

She was really surprised to see Daydream standing there. With a luggage by her side.

Daydream: hey Nat! May I come in?

Natalya: well ... hey ... why, yes ... but ... what exactly are you doing here? It's been ages since you last called or made your presence acknowledged ....

Daydream: yeah, see, it's been a little rough at home lately ... and that's why I'm here . I thought that since you have such a huge house and you're just by yourself, mabye you'd like some company ... and since my parents kicked me out and I've nowhere to go ... I thought I might come to live with you? If it's fine for you? So I can help handling this mansion which, honestly, needs some sprucing up ....

Natalya couldn't believe what she heard! She had mixed feelings: she was angry at her friend for disappearing so long but she was extremely happy that she would have a roomie! Although, it's was kind of rude of Daydream to not even ask her before ringing the doorbell with her luggage, asking to move in .... Natalya didn't really know what to say ...

Daydream: so? What do you think? Listen, I know I haven't been in touch, but you see my family ... they've got into some troubles and now they kicked me out because I don't want to dedicate my life to the family criminal career. See, I want to be a professional writer and earn my living by writing, but they don't accept it. They want me to follow the family path and become mastermind of evil but honestly I want to fulfil my wish! What's wrong with that?

Natalya: oh.... I didn't know your family was running that kind or  .... er .... business ....

Daydream: see, I told you we all have secrets to hide, didn't I .... this was mine! Now, I understand if you say no but it's kinda freezing out here ....

Natalya: sure! Come in, I just made pancakes ....


The sky was still gloomy and looming over the decadent mansion when the school bus arrived to bring her to school, but she felt so happy! She had just resigned to a lonely gloomy life when Daydream had come back into it with much surprise! It was a nice feeling to know that someone would be waiting for her when she would come home from school....



Daydream adjusted well to the house. Although they didn't even have beds to sleep in, Daydream was happy to spend her time writing her novels while Natalya was at school. And now that she was registered as a professional writer, she was starting to earn her income as well.


On their first night as flatmates, they had spent the whole time chatting and telling their secrets to each other. Daydream got to know Natalya's worries, her sorrow and her pain for having trusted the wrong person. The promise to her grandmother and the house were becoming a real burden for her, what with her studying (she needed to be on the top grade in order to avoid possible parents-teacher talking needs), her work and the upkeep and possible renovation of the mansion.

So they had agreed on a plan: Daydream was as broke as Natalya was, but she could earn her living with her books. She would try to earn as much as possible to provide for the both of them, since Natalya's teen job at the mausoleum didn't pay too well. But as soon as they would have enough savings, they would start renovating the house. Together.


Natalya looked at herself in the mirror and couldn't believe they had done it. Well, not done it, but at least they could start the renovations.


Daydream: so, where do you want to start from? We have enough money to buy a piece of furniture and some wallpaper perhaps....


Natalya: the toilet, of course ... it is time we stop going for a shower at the gym ....





And so the renovation started. They bought a bathtub .... and cleaned the floor and bought new wood panels for the walls.
As Daydream said, if they had to renovate, it was worth doing it properly. Small steps, but good ones.

Natalya was really happy of her new bath corner! She could have a bath, at last, after ages of cold gym shower!


Life was still hard .... Natalya still struggled to have everything done perfectly (homework, evening job, house chores ... ) but the thought that she had a friend to share her thoughts with helped a lot. Besides, they had started the path to renovating the whole house. Step by step, tile by tile, they would make it, one day. And this made Natalya feel less lost in her journey through her teen age life .



But one night one stranger rang the bell.


Stranger: hello, you're Natalya Danilova, right?

Natalya: er .... yes ... and who are you and what do you need at 2 in the morning?


Stranger: I'm a social assistant sent by the town community. We heard you're living in this house all alone and I came to check on the situation. As I see the rumor we heard was right. This place is not right for a teen, you need to live in a more appropriate place ... it's not healthy, for your body and mind, to live here . Besides, since you're not of age, you're not allowed to live alone .  I fear I need to report this to the authorities and we'll come to collect you and bring you to a foster home the soonest possible ... so I suggest you pack your things and be ready to go ....


Natalya: what? there's no way I'm moving out of here .... I'm doing very well at school, I'm healthy, I don't smoke or take drugs, I'm a perfectly fine and ordinary teen, why then are you threatening to take me to live with some unknown people? Besides I ....

Social assistant: you must understand it's for your own good, it's not healthy to live in such a place .... alone ....

Natalya: but I'm not alone, my parents ....


Social assistant: stop it, girl . I know all about your lies about your parents being on a work trip and everything ... and it's okay, I understand why you did it, but you must understand it's not right for a girl like you to live alone in such a place, whatever reason you have .... you'll see, you'll have a wonderful normal life with your foster family ....


Natalya: but I don't want a foster family! This house is my family, you can't understand .... I don't need a foster family!



Daydream: hey! Who are you and what's going on here .... Nat, is this woman bothering you?

Social assistant: ... and you are?


Daydream: Daydream Ivy, nice to meet you .... you probably know my family by name ...



Social assistant: er ... Ivy you said? Like... THE Ivys?


Daydream: oh, that's nice, you know my family! And you are?

Social assistant: er... it's not important, I was just leaving ....

Natalya: sure you were ....

Daydream: go inside, Nat, it's freezing, I'll deal with her ....


Daydream: so, I heard you were threatening my friend to take her away from this house...


Social assistant: well, it's for her own good! This place is not healthy for her ....

Daydream: see, this is the problem with you improvised psychologists . What you think is right or wrong is not necessary evident to everyone. Like in this case, you seem to trust the judgement of a little mean girl who betrayed Nat. But you've absolutely no idea what you're talking about! Sending people to foster homes is not always the best option, if maybe the easiest to superficially clean people's moral responsibilities to those in needs .... whithout really enquiring what their real needs are! But anyways, whatever it is, now I live here . And since I'm a grown up Ivy woman, you can understand I can take care of ... things .... so I'm sure you're now about to leave and never come back ... and write a wonderful report to your boss that this girl is perfectly well where she is and doesn't need any foster home ....


Social assistant: er ... right .... right .... I'll do it right away and then leave ....


Natalya: Daydream! I didn't hear you come in ... how did it go? Where's the lady?


Daydream: gone ... for good! Well, for once spending my family name was of some use ... they would hate to know that I used the Ivy name to do some good to someone in need .... they are so proud of their name! *giggles*

Natalya: thank you .... thank you so much .... I can't believe that mean girl reported me to a social assistant!

Daydream: don't even think of it hon, we have something more important to do .....

Natalya: which is?

Daydream: organise a costume party for Spooky Day, of course!


Natalya: hey D., this DIY book is inspiring me new ideas for our bathroom! Wanna see?


Daydream: sure! And how about going to the consignment shop to find some nice things? But before that I suggest we visit the festival and harvest some pumpkins .... so we can carve some for tonight!


Despite the sky had been loaded with rain clouds for the whole autumn, on Spooky Day sun was shining!


The girls headed to the autumn festival and harvested some pumpkins....


....and even had a tour in the haunted house!


Natalya came out not impressed at all . Which was not a surprise, since she works in the mausoleum .... while Daydream was quite shaken!



And couldn't keep it in .....


Natalya: ewwww D.! That's gross....

Random ghost: aaaah these new generations kids....


Back home, Natalya and Daydream set themselves at work on their pumpkins....



and everything was ready for the party to begin!



The guests started to arrive ....



and some of them even brought food! That was a great relief... because the girls had spent the last money available to buy the remaining furniture to complete the bathroom and couldn't even afford to order a pizza....



Well, the party wasn't that huge success, to tell the truth .... but at least the guests didn't starve, as the girls had feared ...



"It's so great to have you here D.", tiger-Natalya told her friend "although still hard, my life has become a lot happier since you moved in this house! I can't tell how grateful I am ...."



Daydream: no problem, hon! Thanks to you for accepting me here... I would be sleeping under a bridge now if you hadn't taken me in ... so I believe it's a win win situation! But now, why don't you tell us all one of the scary stories you heard at the mausoleum?



The guests had almost all left when Natalya told her story.... but she got the satisfaction to scary her former friend Lucy to death with a gruesome story of zombies ... apparently she wasn't as brave as she boasted and Natalya felt happy her evil masterplan to report her to the authorities had failed miserably.



Before going to bed, Natalya had finished cleaned the bathroom and had stopped to admire the new furniture they had just bought. At last she was seeing the fruits of their hard work!















The two friends spent one last before-bedtime moment in the living room. Daydream lit the fire as winter was now approaching and the cold and humid were nearly unbearable during the night.

Natalya looked at the shabby living room they were in, and thought of their lovely bathroom they now had upstairs.... it didn't even seem possible but they had made it! They had made it all alone! They had worked hard and were now seeing the first results ... it took time but the hard work paid. A lot. For the first time in ages Natalya felt fulfilled and felt that she was where she was needed . Where she belonged .














To be continued ......

4 comments:

  1. Awesome :) You make me so want to do this challenge but I have so much I'm already doing and not finishing!! Maybe once I've got my stories done for A Life, the Pendragon legacy, Tillie's travels and Doris the Vampire Slayer I can give it a go!! Hmmm, may be a while!! lol! Hugs! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there! I'm glad you like the renovacy :) while waiting for the heir poll to be closed I had much fun playing with Natalya :D And I already have pictures for the next 2 chapters, only I haven't had time to write them yet :D it's my first challenge and it's hard not to use cheats but I'm having much fun :D can't wait to read your stories! And I want to see how Dragon Valley looks like since I haven't bought it yet ... hugs xxx

      Delete
    2. I've not played it much but the dragons are cute :) I was wondering what to play today so will spend some time in Dragon Valley and spam lots of pics on FB for you :)

      Delete